[CIG-SEISMO] Parallel I/O

Elliott Sales de Andrade esalesde at physics.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 26 12:25:51 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone has given any thought to, or started implementing, "real" parallel I/O in SPECFEM3D_GLOBE?

Right now it is parallel in a sense, but to a different file per process. What I'm referring to is I/O to a single file in parallel. As our cluster has a quota on the number of files, it is a bother that so many files are created each mesh, especially given their mostly small size.

I myself do not have time to work on it now, but my advice is to use a higher level library like HDF5 [1] or NetCDF [2]. Also, I can point you in the direction of a talk on the matter by our cluster [3].

[1] http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/
[2] http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/
[3] http://wiki.scinethpc.ca/wiki/index.php/Half_Day_Parallel_I/O_Course_-_February_2013
--