[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM2d: "Integer overflow when calculating the amount of memory to allocate"

Sumedh Joshi sumedh.m.joshi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 13:21:14 PDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I've been getting the following error when running a particularly large job
while running meshfem2d:

fortran runtime error: Integer overflow when calculating the amount of
memory to allocate

The job then fails.  This only happens for larger runs (6000 x 4000
elements with 9 grid points per element), and I'm wondering if I'm just
hitting the memory limit of my system (a 64-core 128 GB machine).  Has
anyone seen this error before?  Is my 6000 x 4000 x 9 unreasonably large
for my machine?  I wouldn't think so, as 6000 x 4000 x 9 x 16 bytes ~= 3
GB, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Sumedh