[CIG-SEISMO] Time series as input

Stephen Crane StephenCrane at cmail.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 2 08:03:49 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I am using SPECFEM3D/SPECFEM2D for modelling earthquake ground motions far from the source. As access to larger computing resources is limited for myself I was hoping to reduce the model size. In order to make the model sufficiently small, the source would be outside the model area. Is it possible to use a recorded acceleration time series as an input motion at the edge/corner of the model? Has anyone attempted this or can anyone tell me if this is even a good idea?

I would be gracious for any insight on this.

Regards,

Stephen Crane, M.Sc.

Ph.D. Candidate

Department of Earth Sciences
2125 Herzberg Building, Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1S 5B6