[CIG-SEISMO] How to determine moment tensor in SPECFEM2D

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Tue Feb 4 06:50:48 PST 2014

Dear Xin,

To go from strike / dip / slip to CMTSOLUTION format using the classical
formulas (of e.g. Aki and Richards 1980) you can use these small C
programs from SPECFEM3D_GLOBE:

./utils/strike_dip_rake_to_CMTSOLUTION.c

./utils/CMTSOLUTION_to_AkiRichards.c

but then as mentioned by Carl it is another story to make a good 2D
approximation of that, because in plain-strain P-SV what you get is the
equivalent of a line source in the third direction (orthogonal to the
plane) rather than a 3D point source (for more details on this see e.g.
Section 7.3 "Two-dimensional point sources" of the book of Pilant (1979)
below, or more recent textbooks; that book being hard to find, if you do
not find it let me know and I can scan you the 5 or 6 pages of Section 7.3)

Pilant, W. L. Elastic waves in the Earth Elsevier Scientific Publishing
Company, 1979, vol. 11 of "Developments in Solid Earth Geophysics" Series.

Best wishes,
Dimitri.