[CIG-SEISMO] specfem2d basin model mesh generation

Phil Cummins u4592919 at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 18 23:49:06 PST 2014

Hello,

I'm new to specfem2d and am trying to help a student use it to do 2D
modelling of seismic waves in a sedimentary basin. We started by trying
to make a mesh of a simple, rectangular basin (see attached figure,
whole domain is 30 km x 5 km, basin is 20km x 1 km). We used Gmsh so
that we can have much smaller elements in the basin than outside. The
only way we were able to get this to work with Gmsh was to define a
rectangular domain, cut out a hole where the basin is, then insert a 2nd
rectangular domain for the basin, and finally recombine the surfaces
interior and exterior to the basin. (see attached .geo file if your
interested - I know it sounds more calculated than it should be).

At the end of the day, when we use the script LibGmsh2Specfem.py to
convert the gmsh output to specfem2d format, we appear to lose all the
elements in the basin, and none of the elements are recognized as being
along the free surface.

I would be very grateful if anyone could show us what we are doing
wrong. What might work better though, is to have a simple example to
follow. Has anyone worked on a similar problem and if so would they be
willing to send me their gmsh (or perhaps cubit) file that I could use
as an example?

Many thanks,

- Phil