[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D attenuation medium and anisotropic PML?

zhuangmw meanwe451 at 163.com
Tue Jun 24 10:07:49 PDT 2014

Dear CIG-seismo

I'm currently studying at SPECFEM3D. I am trying to simulate homogeneous medium with Qmu and Qkappa values, and using C-PML absorbing boundary condition at 6 sides.
It is strange that the waveform of the displacement ( or velocity ) field have strong reflected wave.
So, I would like to ask you C-PML whether can absorbing attenuation medium in SPECFEM3D software?

Now, case 1:  "ATTENUATION = .false. ", not attenuation,
         case 2:  "ATTENUATION = .true." , Qmu = 0 or Qmu = 9999
In either case, the result is the same in theory. These two model gave different results. My guess is that the C-PML arising from the reflected wave.

Question 2 :
Do you have to complete the anisotropic C-PML?

Best regards,
Mingwei Zhuang

--
Mingwei Zhuang
Institute of Electromagnetics and Acoustics