[CIG-SEISMO] Import mesh to specfem3d from gmsh

ROBERTS A.W. a.w.roberts at durham.ac.uk
Thu May 1 03:32:19 PDT 2014

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate contact (if not, then I'd be grateful if you can point me in the correct direction!)...

I'm having problems importing a mesh from gmsh into specfem3d...  I've created a fairly basic mesh (attached), however when I apply the script gmsh2specfem3d.py it complains that PosPhys has not been assigned, suggesting that the PhysicalNames need to be defined in the .msh file... however, on adding such a section it doesn't seem to be picked up by the python script, and at the same time causes gmsh to not be able to read in the file too...

I realise it is probably quite basic, however I've been playing around with it for a week or so and not getting anywhere, so was wondering if you might be able to help?!

If you could perhaps send me a simple example gmsh mesh which works with the script, and the output from the script/input which then goes into specfem3d, that would be wonderful, so I can have a look and work out what I need to do!

Kind regards.

Dr Alan Roberts
Geospatial Research Limited
Department of Earth Sciences