[CIG-SEISMO] error with xgenerate_database (more details)

Andrea Colombi andree.colombi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 10:16:51 PDT 2015

Dear all,
thanks for the email. I have definitely seen this error more than once in
the recent version of specfem3d cart. In my case I only had to slightly
modify the design of the mesh to get rid of it but i do not remember
precisely how (maybe increasing the thickness in the z direction?). If you
are working with cubit I can have a look if you need. Sorry for not being
much of help.

I have however found the following error (which i believe is more related
to compiler/architecture issues)
The following line in pml_set_local_dampingcoeff.f90 cause an error in the
arithmetic operation with intel compiler.
    ! In INRIA research report section 6.1:
http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/07/32/19/PDF/RR-3471.pdf
    ! pml_damping_profile_l = - ((NPOWER + 1) * vp * log(CPML_Rcoef) / (TWO
* delta)) * dist**(NPOWER)
    ! due to tests it is more accurate to use following definition in case
NPOWER = 1 defined in constants.h.in
    pml_damping_profile_l = - ((NPOWER + 1) * vp * log(CPML_Rcoef) / (TWO *
delta)) &
                            * dist**(1.2_CUSTOM_REAL * NPOWER)

I have replaced with this as NPOWER=1 and it does not create me problems

pml_damping_profile_l = - (2.0* vp * log(CPML_Rcoef) / (2.0 * delta))*
dist**(1.2)

Andrea