[CIG-SEISMO] Few questions on SW4

Lukáš Janků janku.geo at gmail.com
Wed May 27 16:53:46 PDT 2015

Hi guys

I have recently discovered your code SW4 - several people have recommended
it to me on the ISRM. I am a PhD student at the University of Canterbury,
carrying out a research on the seismic response of the hills around
Wellington. So far I have been using mostly FLAC 2D, but I am now
considering running some simple models (linear elastic behavior, 1 or 2
materials) in 3D. My first choice was FLAC 3D, but your programme seems to
be quite reasonable alternative.

I have downloaded the manual, but are you planning some sort of webinar or
any other video presentation of the programme as well? It might be my
laziness, but it's usually a bit easier to pick the gist of it from video
than from the text.

Also, do you have some example of code with topography from raster and real
earthquake input? Even though your manual seems to be quite clear, my
experience is that it's incredibly easy to forget something or use a wrong
syntax on one line and then spend two weeks trying to find the mistake.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Lukas Janku
University of Canterbury