[CIG-SEISMO] PML in SPECFEM3D

Ivan Karpov ivan.karpov at ntnu.no
Sat Aug 13 08:13:18 PDT 2016

Dear all,

My name is Ivan Karpov, I am a PhD student at NTNU, Norway. I am trying to model seismic waves in media pierced by thin boreholes. The most convenient model in my work is bounded by a cylinder (i.e. surfaces bottom and zmax are flat and horizontal, and surfaces xmin, ymin, xmax, ymax are parts of the cylinder and are merged with no corners between them). In order to suppress the waves reflected off the model limits, I used Stacey boundary conditions. But the absorption is not sufficient enough, so I need to put PMLs there. As far as x- and y- layers smoothly continue each other, I do not have PMLs elements belonging to both x- and y-layers (i.e. I do not have elements with flags 4 and 7). In this case, specfem prompts errors of the following kind:

Error in slice            0 : number of PML elements        17750  but only        16598  flags set
STOP Error C-PML array has invalid number of PML flags set

Does it mean that I can use only cuboid models (or models with corners)?  Is it possible to overcome this issue?

With kind regards,
Ivan Karpov