[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM2D code became unstable and blew up

Parvathy Sindhu Nair pnai558 at aucklanduni.ac.nz
Mon Feb 15 14:25:50 PST 2016

Hi Dimtri,
I'm not very good at this software, so I'm not really sure what I am doing
wrong. But when I tried ./configure --enable-debug, I'm getting this message

## ---------------- ##
## Specfem 2D 7.0.0 ##
## ---------------- ##

./configure has completed and set up a default configuration to build.

You may wish to modify the following files before running a simulation:
  DATA/Par_file           Set parameters affecting the simulation.
  DATA/SOURCE             Set the source parameters before running the
solver.

And I've tried with amplitude 1.17e10 using this option
USE_CONSTANT_MAX_AMPLITUDE      = .true.        # by default the code
normalizes each image independently to its maximum; use this option to use
the global maximum below instead
CONSTANT_MAX_AMPLITUDE_TO_USE   = 1.17d10         # constant maximum
amplitude to use for all color images if the above
USE_CONSTANT_MAX_AMPLITUDE option is true

But I'm getting an error

Program received signal SIGFPE: Floating-point exception - erroneous
arithmetic operation.

Backtrace for this error:
#0  0x7F1E30192497
#1  0x7F1E30192ADE
#2  0x3996A358EF
#3  0x422E3A in check_stability_ at check_stability.F90:104 (discriminator
8)
#4  0x4991D1 in iterate_time_ at iterate_time.F90:1328
#5  0x401D6E in specfem2d at specfem2D.F90:383
#6  0x3996A21D64
Floating point exception (core dumped)
I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong with my Data/ files.

Thank you
Parvathy

On 13 February 2016 at 06:23, Dimitri Komatitsch <komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr