[CIG-SEISMO] SH convergence problem in SPECFEM3D

林俊宏 chlin.ce at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:14:25 PST 2016

Hi !

This is Chun-Hung Lin from Taiwan. My group work on the application of
surface wave testing in solving geotechnical problems in National Chiao
Tung University, Taiwan.

I greatly appreciate that you provide such a great tool for us to simulate
the 3D propagation of seismic wave. It help us to consider the 3D effect
when applying surface wave testing. We had done a study on the application
of  surface wave testing in jet grouting based on the SPECFEM3D and will be
published in the near future.

In the beginning we focus on the Rayleigh wave. SPECFEM3D works very well.
However, few weeks ago, we found it is not convergence for Love wave, even
we try to minimize our mesh size and time step(as shown in attached ppt).
Could you please provide us some experience or hints about the rules to
make convergence for Love wave(for the Rayleigh wave, we try and error
based on our experience in finite difference method)?

Thanks for your kind help!

Sincerely,
Chun-Hung

 Chun-Hung Lin  Ph.D,
 Assistant Research Fellow, Disaster Prevention & Water Environment
Research Center
 National Chiao Tung University, #1001 University Rd., Hsinchu, Taiwan
 Tel: +886-3-571-2121#55265,     Mobil: +886-922-585100
 Fax: +886-3-573-4116
 Email: chlin.ce at gmail.com