[CIG-SEISMO] Layered Halfspace Example

Robin Lee robin.lee at pg.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jun 20 21:32:02 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have been running through a few of the examples in an attempt to familiarize myself with SPECFEM3D and validate that everything is working. I have managed to obtain the correct output from the homogeneous halfspace and tomography examples (comparing to reference seismograms) but the layered halfspace example comes out different (the waveforms are different and amplitudes appear to be around 1000 times smaller). I'm not sure what is going wrong since I am doing essentially the same process and there doesn't appear to be any errors. Judging from the amplitudes, I feel like it might be something to do with the CMT solution being used. Mine is currently:

PDE  1999 01 01 00 00 00.00  67000 67000 -25000 4.2 4.2 FIG8
event name:       FIG8_vertical
time shift:       0.0000
half duration:    0.4
latorUTM:       67000.0
longorUTM:      67000.0
depth:         25.05
Mrr:       1.000000e+23
Mtt:       0.000000
Mpp:       0.000000
Mrt:       0.000000
Mrp:       0.000000
Mtp:       0.000000

Has anyone obtained the correct output which matches the reference seismograms, or has any idea what might be causing this discrepancy of mine?

Regards
Robin

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.