[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D: changing velocity model

Eva Golos emgolos at mit.edu
Wed Mar 23 07:17:18 PDT 2016

Hello,

I am using SPECFEM3d_globe to generate seismograms for a custom 3-d
velocity model, and I have a pretty basic question. It seems to me that the
most straightforward way to do this for the mantle is to use a PPM model
(which is what's recommended in the manual), and for the crust, to use
crustmaps. I can get the PPM working when I use crust2.0, and the
crustmaps, when I use the 1d isotropic PREM as the model. However, the the
two features don't seem to be compatible with each other: when I try to run
the mesher with both at once, it returns an error while trying to read the
default crustmap files (in DATA/crustmap/eucrust*):

 Error model crustmap
 Error detected, aborting MPI... proc            0

Does anyone have any advice on how to use both features at once? Otherwise,
is there another, better, way to implement a new model that spans both
crustal and mantle depths?

Thanks very much!
Eva