[CIG-SEISMO] Exporting mesh from Trelis to SPECFEM3d

Daniel B. Peter daniel.peter at kaust.edu.sa
Tue Mar 29 12:36:34 PDT 2016

Dear Aymen,

please also note that even if you manage to export it into the specfem-format, SPECFEM3D needs a conforming mesh. in your picture, the mesh looks different for different volumes. you will need to merge the common surfaces between different volumes first and then create a mesh with common mesh points on these surfaces.

for the mesh in the picture, i’m not sure if SPECFEM3D would work. even if reading in the mesh would work, the volumes would be seen as separate domains and seismic waves would only propagate within the volume where your source will be located. since there will be no common mesh points between the volumes, there will be no coupling from one volume to another, thus waves will bounce off the volume surfaces without continuing into neighboring volumes.

best wishes,
daniel