[CIG-SEISMO] Question for using tomographic model in Latitude/Longitude coordinates

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Sun Aug 6 11:07:21 PDT 2017

Dear Cheng Li,

Thank you for your message. I do not think that can be done by default,
but it is easy to do, using one of the following two options:

- if your mesh honors the curvature of the Earth, then just modify the
routine that reads the tomographic model in order to import it in
latitude/longitude instead of UTM_x and UTM_y

- if your mesh does not honor the curvature of the Earth (which is the
classical case), i.e. your mesh corresponds to a UTM-projected grid,
just use the routine provided in src/shared/utm_geo.f90 to convert your
current latitude/longitude file to a UTM-projected version.

On 08/06/2017 03:26 AM, lcyxj at mail.ustc.edu.cn wrote:
> Hello developers,
> I am a student from China and now want to use Specfem3d Cartesian to
> simulate the waveforms by using an existed tomographic model in
> Latitude/Longitude coordinates. First,I want to make sure if the
> Specfem3d Cartesian could work in this situation. If so , could you send
> me a simple example,since the existed examples in the package do not
> cover this situation except for a example in Cartesian
> coordinates.Thanks so much!
> Wish for you reply!
> Best!
> Cheng Li
>
> University of Technology and Science of China,
> Hefei,Anhui,China.

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr