[CIG-SEISMO] SpecFem3D Globe GPU System requirements

Wiel, L.Y. van de (Lukas) l.y.vandewiel at uu.nl
Wed Jul 19 06:42:27 PDT 2017

Dear sir, madam,

at Utrecht University Seismology group we run SpecFem3D Globe and we are looking at adding GPUs to our new cluster, just for this purpose (and to teach (PhD-)students to write GPU code.)

To make a thoroughly motivated decision about this, we aim to compile and run Specfem3D Globe both on a CUDA card and on an openCL-card. We will measure the performance and see if there are significant differences between the two. Has this perhaps already been done by you?

Section 2.2 of the manual is clean enough on how to do this.
What would be the system requirements for the GPU? Is 4 GB enough? Do we perhaps need 8, for running the benchmarks that are included in the tarball?

Thank you very much and best wishes,

Lukas van de Wiel

(scientific programmer of the Utrecht University Earth Sciences department)