[CIG-SEISMO] Specfem3d globe: with an altered crustal model

Kendall, Elodie elodie.kendall.14 at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 31 03:37:11 PDT 2017

Hi there,

I have created a new crust 2.0 (the same format but with crustal thickness perturbations added to each grid) and I want to analyse the effect on the synthetics. I have changed the maximum moho depth from 90 to 115 (the new max.), the mesher runs fine but the solver fails with error "forward simulation became unstable in fluid and blew up". I have suppressed the moho stretching and the solver runs without errors however I then lose accuracy as the moho is not being honoured.

Do you know how I could check how many GLL points sample each crustal point please? I assume that if it really undersampled (1 not 5 GLL for the oceans) I should use something like this to create a new mesh?

https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d/wiki/03_mesh_generation

Thanks a lot,
Elodie