[CIG-SEISMO] Can SPECEM3D do gravity inversion?

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Sat Mar 18 10:12:11 PDT 2017

Hi all,

We should move this parameter to the Par_file at some point.
I have opened https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d/issues/1003 and
https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d_globe/issues/563

Best,
Dimitri.

On 03/18/2017 05:46 PM, Dimitri Komatitsch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Nice!
>
> For gravity modeling, in the current version of SPECFEM3D one needs to
> change the following flag to .true. in setup/constants.h.in :
>
> !!-----------------------------------------------------------
> !!
> !! gravity integral calculations
> !!
> !!-----------------------------------------------------------
>
> !! DK DK for gravity integrals
>   logical, parameter :: GRAVITY_INTEGRALS = .false. !!! .true.
>

> Best regards,
> Dimitri.
>

> On 03/18/2017 05:32 PM, Jeroen Tromp wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> This is something Hom Nath Gharti has worked on as well, combining a
>> spectral-element method with an infinite-element method to solve
>> Laplace's equation in outer space. See his recent CIG webinar:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIuvv7tAcfk
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Jeroen Tromp
>>

>> On 3/18/17 12:29 PM, Dimitri Komatitsch wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Ming,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your message! This is indeed an interesting topic. My
>>> friend Roland Martin has a nice paper that has just appeared on this:
>>> http://komatitsch.free.fr/preprints/GJI_Martin_gravimetry_2017.pdf
>>>
>>> thus let me cc Roland to see what the current version of SPECFEM3D can
>>> do (it can do 3D modeling for sure, but I think the gravity inversion
>>> part was performed outside of SPECFEM using scripts for now (?);
>>> Roland can tell us more about this, he is the expert on that).
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dimitri.

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr