[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Mon Oct 30 12:59:25 PDT 2017

Hi Dylan,

Yes, just use UNDO_ATTENUATION, which can undo any dissipative medium
exactly, including PML. It is described in
http://komatitsch.free.fr/preprints/GJI_undo_attenuation_2016.pdf .
We do that routinely here for FWI with PML, works beautifully.
Please cite that paper if you use it.

Thanks,
Best,
Dimitri.

On 10/30/2017 06:44 PM, James A. Smith wrote:
> Hi Dylan,
>
> I have tested PML for the adjoint simulation. It seems to work, although
> I am still playing with getting higher quality inversion results (as
> compared to Stacey). Please see this issue:
> https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d/issues/312
>
> You will need to enable UNDO_ATTENUATION for PML to work in this case
> (in setup/constanst.h). You will also have to comment out the lines in
> the source code that stop the code if PML is turned on for an adjoint
> simulation and recompile. I hope it works for you.
>
> Best,
> James

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr