[CIG-SEISMO] [Specfem3D Cartesian]- Using a CMTSOLUTION source to trigger a critically-stressed fault

Ge Li ge.li2 at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 4 18:00:11 PDT 2018

To Whom It May Concern:

I’m a PhD Candidate in geophysics at McGill University. Currently I’m using

Specfem3D Cartesian for my research.

I’m wondering is it possible to trigger an earthquake on a fault using a CMTSOLUTION source?

I tried several simulations by setting a critically stressed fault and a CMTSOLUTION point source.

The source (Mw~6 Right-lateral strike slip) was located about only 1km away from the fault surface.

But it turned out the stresses on the fault surface(dynamic slip-weakening) remain unchanged.

Based on these tests, I supposed that a CMTSOLUTION won’t change the stress level on a fault surface. Is it correct?

Or did I miss something here?

Thanks! I’m looking forward to your reply!

--

Ge Li

Ph.D. Candidate

Department of Earth & Planetary Science,

McGill University

3450 University Street

Montreal, QC, Canada

H3A 0E8