[CIG-SEISMO] SPECFEM3D-Globe, near epicenter velocities

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Mon Apr 9 03:01:59 PDT 2018

Hi,

Yes, SPECFEM solves for the full wave equation and thus includes the
near-field terms, computed accurately (see e.g.
http://komatitsch.free.fr/preprints/GJI1_2002.pdf figure 20).

However, if you are in the mesh element of the source, or very close to
it, you may get spurious Hourglass-like modes, see Schmicker et al. 2014
(attached). When they are present, getting rid of them requires changing
the mesh (for instance randomizing it) near the source.

--
Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France