[CIG-SEISMO] [Specfem3D Cartesian]- Using a CMTSOLUTION source to trigger a critically-stressed fault

Kangchen Bai kbai at caltech.edu
Mon Apr 9 10:12:14 PDT 2018

Hi Ge,

Triggering a dynamic rupture with a point source is do-able with the code.
You should see dynamic stress changes as the wave goes across the fault.
 I actually did similar things before by mistake --- I forgot to turn off
the point source when doing a dynamic rupture simulation and see the
circular stress pattern on the fault.

We also did the work of one fault rupture triggering another using the code
(See Bai & Ampuero 2017
https://doi.org/10.1002/2017JB014848
 ), the stress transfer is not a problem as is shown in Fig 6 & 7.

If you do not see stress changes, there must be something wrong with the
settings.
I suspect the most plausible scenario is that the fault node is not split
in which case the stress remain constant anyhow.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Best,
Kangchen