[CIG-SEISMO] Bug? Check functionality of force direction

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Fri Feb 16 11:53:32 PST 2018

Hi,

Thanks for the bug report, and great if Daniel can fix it!

By the way, at some point we should also check this old issue:
https://github.com/geodynamics/specfem3d/issues/842
(I will try to find time to do it next month)

Best wishes,
Dimitri.

On 02/16/2018 08:14 PM, Daniel B. Peter wrote:
> hi Mathias,
>
> you’re right. it doesn’t work correctly for elastic point forces. i just came across the same bug which was introduced recently and will submit a bug fix soon to the devel branch.
>
> many thanks for spotting!
> daniel
>

>> On Feb 16, 2018, at 19:46, Mathias Pilch <mathias.pilch at tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
>>
>> Dear developers of Specfem3D,
>>
>> there appears to be a bug in the latest devel version when using a point force source.
>>
>> The line in DATA/FORCESOLUTION
>>
>>     component dir vect source Z_UP:    -1.d0
>>
>> does not seem to have any effect. I tested it with a Gaussian with hdur = 0.06 s, and
>> both
>>
>>     component dir vect source Z_UP:    -1.d0
>>
>> and
>>
>>     component dir vect source Z_UP:    1.d0
>>
>> However, the resulting seismograms (semv) look the same, while in reality those calculated with
>> the opposite sign should yield the inverted seismograms.
>>
>> Could you please check that?
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>> Mathias Pilch

> This message and its contents including attachments are intended solely for the original recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify me immediately and delete this message from your computer system. Any unauthorized use or distribution is prohibited. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr