[CIG-SEISMO] Error executing specfem3d with CUDA / GeForce GT 730

Leandro Gazoni lgazoni at gmail.com
Thu May 3 07:17:10 PDT 2018

Hello everyone,

My name is Leandro Gazoni, I am a Phd student in computational mechanics in
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro / Brazil. I have done some studies on
using SprecFem3d I was able to compile, run and modify some examples using
MPI.

I would like to test the same problems with cuda but I have had problems
running the example: (/ EXAMPLES / meshfem3D_examples / simple_model) with
a GPU: GeForce GT 730, 64bit card. Is it possible to run tests with this
board?

I can compile specfem3d without problems with ./configure --with-cuda, but
when running the example I have the following error:

born @ jobi: ~ / Downloads / specfem3d / EXAMPLES / meshfem3D_examples /
simple_model $ ./run_this_example.sh
running example: Thu May 3 05:06:59 -03 2018

   setting up example ...

   running mesher ...

   running database generation ...

   running solver ...

Error in setConst_hprime_xx: invalid device symbol
The problem is maybe -arch sm_13 instead of -arch sm_11 in the Makefile,
please doublecheck

Regards,
Leandro Gazoni

==============
ParFile
==============
# number of MPI processors
NPROC                           = 1

# time step parameters
NSTEP                       = 10000
DT                              = 0.01

GPU_MODE                        = .true.

==============
Mesh Parfile
==============
# number of elements at the surface along edges of the mesh at the surface
# (must be 8 * multiple of NPROC below if mesh is not regular and contains
mesh doublings)
# (must be multiple of NPROC below if mesh is regular)
NEX_XI                          = 32
NEX_ETA                         = 32

# number of MPI processors along xi and eta (can be different)
NPROC_XI                        = 1
NPROC_ETA                     = 1

# number of regions
NREGIONS                        = 4
# define the different regions of the model as :
#NEX_XI_BEGIN  #NEX_XI_END  #NEX_ETA_BEGIN  #NEX_ETA_END  #NZ_BEGIN
#NZ_END  #material_id
1              32            1               32             1         4
    1
1              32            1               32             5         5
    2
1              32            1               32             6         15
   3
14             25            7               19             7         10
   4