[CIG-SEISMO] Error executing specfem3d with CUDA / GeForce GT 730

Leandro Gazoni lgazoni at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:39:33 PDT 2018

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your help! about the architecture of the video card I believe
the GT 730 is Kepler.

I compiled Specfem3d using only the command: "./configure --with-cuda"
without any arguments. But I've tried before with ./configure --with-cuda =
cuda5, both generate the makefile and compile without errors.

*The answer to configure follows.*
*## ---- ##*
*## CUDA ##*
*## ---- ##*
*checking for nvcc ... /usr/local/cuda-9.1/bin/nvcc*
*checking for cuda_runtime.h ... yes*
*checking nvcc compilation with cudaMalloc in -lcudart ... yes*
*checking nvcc linking with cudaMalloc in -lcudart ... yes*
*checking linking with cudaMalloc in -lcudart ... yes*

The problem is when running the simple_model example.

*nacib at jobi:~/Downloads/specfem3d/EXAMPLES/meshfem3D_examples/simple_model$
./run_this_example.shrunning example: Qui Mai  3 13:24:35 -03 2018  setting
up example...  running mesher...  running database generation...  running
solver...Error in setConst_hprime_xx: invalid device symbolThe problem is
maybe -arch sm_13 instead of -arch sm_11 in the Makefile, please
doublecheck*

-----

*nacib at jobi:/usr/local/cuda-9.1/samples/bin/x86_64/linux/release$
./deviceQuery*
*./deviceQuery Starting...*

 CUDA Device Query (Runtime API) version (CUDART static linking)

Detected 1 CUDA Capable device(s)

Device 0: "GeForce GT 730"
  CUDA Driver Version / Runtime Version          9.1 / 9.1
  CUDA Capability Major/Minor version number:    2.1
  Total amount of global memory:                 1982 MBytes (2078605312
bytes)
MapSMtoCores for SM 2.1 is undefined.  Default to use 64 Cores/SM
MapSMtoCores for SM 2.1 is undefined.  Default to use 64 Cores/SM
  ( 2) Multiprocessors, ( 64) CUDA Cores/MP:     128 CUDA Cores
  GPU Max Clock rate:                            1400 MHz (1.40 GHz)
  Memory Clock rate:                             700 Mhz
  Memory Bus Width:                              128-bit
  L2 Cache Size:                                 131072 bytes
  Maximum Texture Dimension Size (x,y,z)         1D=(65536), 2D=(65536,
65535), 3D=(2048, 2048, 2048)
  Maximum Layered 1D Texture Size, (num) layers  1D=(16384), 2048 layers
  Maximum Layered 2D Texture Size, (num) layers  2D=(16384, 16384), 2048
layers
  Total amount of constant memory:               65536 bytes
  Total amount of shared memory per block:       49152 bytes
  Total number of registers available per block: 32768
  Warp size:                                     32
  Maximum number of threads per multiprocessor:  1536
  Maximum number of threads per block:           1024
  Max dimension size of a thread block (x,y,z): (1024, 1024, 64)
  Max dimension size of a grid size    (x,y,z): (65535, 65535, 65535)
  Maximum memory pitch:                          2147483647 bytes
  Texture alignment:                             512 bytes
  Concurrent copy and kernel execution:          Yes with 1 copy engine(s)
  Run time limit on kernels:                     Yes
  Integrated GPU sharing Host Memory:            No
  Support host page-locked memory mapping:       Yes
  Alignment requirement for Surfaces:            Yes
  Device has ECC support:                        Disabled
  Device supports Unified Addressing (UVA):      Yes
  Supports Cooperative Kernel Launch:            No
  Supports MultiDevice Co-op Kernel Launch:      No
  Device PCI Domain ID / Bus ID / location ID:   0 / 1 / 0
  Compute Mode:
     < Default (multiple host threads can use ::cudaSetDevice() with device
simultaneously) >

deviceQuery, CUDA Driver = CUDART, CUDA Driver Version = 9.1, CUDA Runtime
Version = 9.1, NumDevs = 1
Result = PASS

Thank you,
Best regards,