[CIG-SEISMO] Help needed to use deformation field as an input of SPECFEM2D

Dimitri Komatitsch komatitsch at lma.cnrs-mrs.fr
Thu May 24 06:45:42 PDT 2018

Hi again Jérôme,

You can also maybe have a look at the "pre-stress" section of e.g. the
book of Dahlen and Tromp (1998)
https://press.princeton.edu/titles/6361.html ; let me cc Jeroen, he will
know much more about this than I do ;-)

Best,
Dimitri.

On 05/24/2018 03:22 PM, Dimitri Komatitsch wrote:

> Hi Jérôme,
>
> Thanks for your question. Since the equation is second order in time,
> one needs two initial conditions, usually we input the displacement
> vector and the velocity vector at time t = 0 when the medium is not
> initially at rest; another option (mathematically equivalent in the
> context of the discretized equation) is to input the displacement vector
> at two different times, say t = 0 and t = + delta_t for instance, where
> delta_t is the time step of the time scheme.
>
> I am not familiar with how this can (or cannot) be done easily by
> inputing spatial gradients of that (for instance the strain), but the
> answer is very likely for instance in Tom Hughes' 1987 book
> https://www.amazon.com/Finite-Element-Method-Mechanical-Engineering/dp/0486411818
>
> (around chapter 9 or so if I remember correctly).
>
> Best wishes,
> Dimitri.
>
> On 05/24/2018 12:24 PM, AZZOLA Jerome (JDS) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> First, I would like to thank CIG Seismology for providing Specfem2D
>> and other very useful Software with free access.
>> I'm a PhD student at IPGS - University of Strasbourg and I use
>> Specfem2D to simulate the propagation of waves in a plate containing
>> holes and meshed using the external mesher GMSH. The mesh input in
>> Specfem2D is continuously deformed using Code_Aster, a finite element
>> code treating the mechanical deformation of the mesh. Usually, we
>> define to groups of elements: the bulk of the plate and the holes. We
>> define the velocity and density in each model. We would like by now to
>> use the deformation field computed from Code_Aster at each element of
>> the mesh used in both codes to define the velocity field input in
>> Specfem2D. Do I have to use as many models in my ParFile as the number
>> of elements or is there a simpler way to use the deformation field as
>> an input of SPECFEM?
>> Thank you for your help.
>>

>> Cordially,
>>

>> --
>>
>> Jérôme AZZOLA
>> Doctorant en géosciences
>> Tél : +33 (0)7 68 54 92 57
>> azzola at unistra.fr <mailto:azzola at unistra.fr>
>> jerome.azzola at gmail.com <mailto:jerome.azzola at gmail.com>
>> www.unistra.fr <http://www.unistra.fr>
>> EOST - Ecole et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre
>> 5, rue René Descartes
>> F - 67000 Strasbourg

Dimitri Komatitsch, CNRS Research Director (DR CNRS)
Laboratory of Mechanics and Acoustics, Marseille, France
http://komatitsch.free.fr