[CIG-SHORT] early benchmarking results

Charles Williams willic3 at rpi.edu
Mon Aug 28 07:29:36 PDT 2006

Hi Brad,

I'm sure this has been taken into account somehow, but when comparing
to the analytical results, we need to make sure that we don't
actually use any values that lie on the fault, since the analytical
solution blows up there.  If we set the analytical results to zero
along the fault, there will still be an error.  I'm not sure how to
deal with this problem, other than to shift all the values slightly
off the fault.

Charles

On Aug 25, 2006, at 8:10 PM, Brad Aagaard wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I have started tabulating the results for the Reverse Slip without
> Gravity benchmark. PyLith and GeoFEST produce nearly identical
> results, as expected. The integrated L2 errors in the elastic
> displacements for the 1000m resolution simulations are 1.6791e+05 and
> 1.6793e+05 for PyLith and GeoFEST, respectively. So... PyLith "wins"
> by a micron. The integrated L2 norm difference between the two
> elastic solutions from PyLith and GeoFEST is 1.0587e+03. At this
> point, about all we can say is that PyLith and GeoFEST agree >100
> times better with each other than they do with the analytical
> solution.
>
> Next steps: Comparing the displacements and velocities for the
> viscoelastic relaxation, examining (plotting) the local error, and
> calculating the errors for the 500m resolution simulations.

Charles A. Williams
Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Science Center, 2C01B
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute