[CIG-SHORT] problem definition for Landers-Hector Mine benchmark

Carl W. Gable gable at lanl.gov
Mon Jul 24 09:56:15 PDT 2006

      > Hi all:
      >
      > I would like to put the problem description together for the
      > Landers-Hector Mine benchmark.
      >
      > I have the following tidbits in my notes from the Golden workshop:
      >
      > * Use mesh provided by Carl

What I'm planning to provide is:

1) Mesh with only the Landers Fault, low resolution
2) Mesh with only the Landers Fault, high resolution
3) Mesh with Landers and Hector Mine Faults, high resolution.

      > * Use Landers slip model provided by Yuri
      > * Use layered material model provided by Brad
      >   - viscosity is 10^18 Pa-s in lower-crust and mantle
      > * Boundaries (lateral sides and bottom) are fixed displacements
      > * Solution is computed at 0, 5, 10, 15 years
      > * no gravity
      >
      > Issues that need to be resolved (please comment):
      >
      > 1. How is the slip model going to be defined? Are people getting the
      > slip model info from attributes embedded in the LaGriT output or is
      > Yuri providing a separate data file?

Yuri provided a slip model. Jiangning Lu (MIT) converted the files
Yuri sent (strike,dip,rake) into AVS format files. I have then used the slip
defined on those surfaces that do not exactly match the
CFM fault surface, and interpolated the displacements onto
the CFM surfaces. I then use these surfaces to define
slip components (x,y,z displacement) for fault nodes
in the meshes I built.

So, slip model info will be provided as node attributes embedded in the LaGriT output.