[CIG-SHORT] a problem in "SPECFEM3D_BASIN_V1.2"

Leif Strand leif at geodynamics.org
Mon Jul 31 11:40:05 PDT 2006

Hi Sufang,

Building SPECFEM3D is slightly tricky. There are two programs: the
mesher (xmeshfem3D) and the solver (xspecfem3D). In order to build the
solver, you need "OUTPUT_FILES/values_from_mesher.h". But this header
file is an output file of the mesher! In other words, you need to do the
following:

1) Build 'xmeshfem3D'.
2) Run 'xmeshfem3D' with the desired parameters (see "DATA/Par_file").
This will produce "OUTPUT_FILES/values_from_mesher.h" as output.
3) Build 'xspecfem3D'.
4) Run 'xspecfem3D'.

There is also a utility program called "xcreate_header_file" which will
simply generate "OUTPUT_FILES/values_from_mesher.h" from your parameter
file without doing anything else (it won't create a mesh). This is
useful if you are running on a cluster where the mesher and the solver
need to run as a single batch job, and you therefore need to build both
programs beforehand. So an alternative approach is:

1) Build 'xcreate_header_file'.
2) Run 'xcreate_header_file' with the desired parameters
("DATA/Par_file"). This will produce "OUTPUT_FILES/values_from_mesher.h"
as output.
3) Build 'xmeshfem3D' and 'xspecfem3D'.
4) Run 'xmeshfem3D' and 'xspecfem3D'.

I'm not certain what is causing the linker error LNK1136 --
unfortunately I don't have Visual Fortran for Windows available to test.
It is possible that your Fortran compiler couldn't find
"OUTPUT_FILES/values_from_mesher.h" and produced a corrupt ".obj" file,
but this seems unlikely.

I do have one theory. Looking at the 'Makefile', note that some of the
files are compiled with your regular Fortran compiler command, but
others -- such as specfem3D.f90 -- are compiled with 'mpif90'. So I
would make sure your settings for the Makefile variables 'F90' and
'MPIF90' are consistent. In particular, on Windows (as I recall) the GNU
compilers use a different object file format than the Intel and
Microsoft compilers, so an incompatibility could arise there. Of course,
if you aren't using 'Makefile', this doesn't apply to you.

If you continue to have trouble with LNK1136, send me the output of a
full rebuild, and "specfem3D.obj".

--Leif Strand
  http://www.geodynamics.org/