[CIG-SHORT] Fault "id" versus fault "label"

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Feb 4 22:13:14 PST 2008

Ravi Kanda wrote:
> It is possible I am doing something silly....

Yes, in fact you do have a simple mistake in your .cfg file. The fault
"label" is used in error messages to give an appropriate name to the
fault. It is NOT the material id associated with the cohesive cells. You
did not set a material id, and because you have multiple faults, they
all have the same material id, so all of the earthquake slips are being
applied to every fault.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have multiple faults, you MUST set the fault "id"
to a unique value across the materials and faults. You cannot use the
default value.

We differentiate the cohesive cells for each fault from all other bulk
and cohesive cells for other faults by this tag. If you don't set the
fault "id" and have multiple faults, then all earthquake sources get
applied to each fault. We plan to include a consistency check for this
in the next release (that is, we will check to make sure each fault and
each material have different id values).