[CIG-SHORT] pylith time stepping

Christopher DiCaprio dicaprio at gps.caltech.edu
Tue May 13 16:02:11 PDT 2008

PyLith developers,

I'm trying to write a PyLith component for rudimentary variable time
step size. My component, called ImplicitManualdt, is similar to
Implicit, but it replaces the Formulation.stableTimeStep() with a
method that reads time step sizes sequentially from a text file. It
works when I specify the same size for every step (i.e. repeat the
same value in the timestep file), but I get the following error when
I give it a file that has more than one time step size:

  -- Advancing solution from t=1.57788e+06*s to t=4.73364e+06*s.
  >> /home/dicaprio/local/pylith-build/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
pylith/problem
s/Formulation.py:381:_reformResidual
  -- implicit_manualdt(info)
  -- Integrating residual term in operator.
[0]0:Return code = 0, signaled with Aborted

Does this have anything to do with the initialization of the
integrator(s) in Formulation.py? Formulation.initialize() calculates
numTimeSteps assuming a constant time step size and that value is
used here:

integrator.initialize(totalTime, numTimeSteps)

Any advice?

Thanks,
Chris