[CIG-SHORT] stress in vtk files

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Sat May 17 11:39:51 PDT 2008

Tabrez Ali wrote:
> PyLith Users/Developers
>
> The vtk files containing stress results have six values for each
> component but which is what?

Good question. I think this is missing from the manual.
The order for the stress and strain components is

1-D: sigma_xx

2-D: sigma_xx, sigma_yy, sigma_xy

3-D: sigma_xx, sigma_yy, sigma_zz, sigma_xy, sigma_yz, sigma_xz

Brad

> Also is there a supereasy way "within" Paraview to obtain annual
> velocities from displacement data available each year, say from 0-500 yrs.

I don't think there is an easy way. ParaView has a scripting interface
but I have no experience using it. This is one reason why we want to add
HDF5 output. It is very easy to write simple Matlab or Python scripts to
process data in HDF5 files.