[CIG-SHORT] FW: 3D fault slip

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Oct 21 08:53:17 PDT 2008

Yaru-

Your coordinate systems are inconsistent. Your mesh appears to be in km but
your spatial databases implicitly use meters (to-meters=1.0e+3).

PyLith contains only limited support for converting among coordinate systems.
It does not yet contain support for converting units of values stored in
spatial databases. The units of values within spatial databases must be
consistent with the units of length for the mesh AND coordinate systems of
the spatial databases. The easiest way to keep things consistent is to use SI
units everywhere.

For Cartesian coordinates and spatial databases, there is a parameter
to-meters that is used to scale the coordinates in the spatial database and
convert to meters. In your finalslip.spatialdb file this value is set to
1.0e+3 (which correctly converts your coordinates in km to m). However, your
mesh is in km. You should convert your mesh to meters.

Note that if you change your to-meters parameter to 1.0, the coordinates of
your mesh and the spatial database will be consistent, but the units of slip
become km (rather than m), the displacement field solution will be in km
(rather than m) and the material properties will be incorrect (kg/km^2 for
density and km/s for the wave speeds).

Brad