[CIG-SHORT] Pylith dies after thousands of time steps (convergence issue)

Tabrez Ali stali at purdue.edu
Thu Apr 30 08:11:00 PDT 2009

Matt

> Yes it fails at the same point on both machines. However if I use a
> different material property then it fails much later, but again the
> time step (at which it fails) is same on the two machines.
>

> Not just same time step. Same iterate. Everything.

I deleted my output file on one machine but will run it again

>> 3) Are the error messages identical on the two machines?
>
> Yes
>
> I need the entire error message. I mean EXACTLY the same. Letter for
> letter

Here's the exact message. You can see out.txt at http://stali.freeshell.org/out.txt.gz

$ pylith --nodes=4 --petsc.ksp_type=cg > out.txt

[cli_0]: aborting job:
Fatal error in MPI_Wait: Error message texts are not available
[cli_1]: aborting job:
Fatal error in MPI_Wait: Error message texts are not available
[cli_3]: aborting job:
Fatal error in MPI_Wait: Error message texts are not available
[cli_2]: aborting job:
Fatal error in MPI_Wait: Error message texts are not available
mpiexec: Warning: tasks 0-3 exited with status 1.
--pyre-start: mpiexec: exit 1
/usr/rmt_share/scratch96/s/stali/pylith/bin/pylith: /usr/rmt_share/
scratch96/s/stali/pylith/bin/nemesis: exit 1

Tabrez

>> On Apr 30, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Tabrez Ali <stali at purdue.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>> Brad
>>>
>>> The solution at the last working step does converge and looks okay
>>> but
>>> then nothing happens and it dies. I am however experimenting with
>>> time_step and will also try to use the debugger.
>>>
>>> Btw do you know if I can use --petsc.on_error_attach_debugger when
>>> the
>>> job is submitted via PBS or should I just run it interactively?
>>>
>>> I do not understand why this is labeled a convergence issue.
>>> Unless I miss what
>>> you mean by "die". Non-convergence will result in a bad
>>> ConvergenceReason
>>> from the solver, but nothing else. The code will continue to run.
>>>
>>> This looks like death from a signal. With the very little
>>> information in front of
>>> me, this looks like a bug in the MPI on this machine. If it was
>>> doing Sieve stuff,
>>> I would put the blame on me. But with PETSc stuff (10+ years old
>>> and used by
>>> thousands of people), I put the blame on MPI or hardware for this
>>> computer.
>>>
>>>   Matt

>>> 87 KSP Residual norm 3.579491816101e-07
>>> 88 KSP Residual norm 3.241876854223e-07