[CIG-SHORT] pylith install problem

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Mar 17 15:18:31 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 3:15:00 pm Christopher DiCaprio wrote:
> I re-compiled all libraries using CFLAGS='-fPIC', but I get the same
> error. The full output from make is attached.

Chris-

You need to make sure *all* sources are compiled with -fPIC, not just the C
source files. You need to set FFLAGS and CXXFLAGS as well to make sure the
fortran and C++ files are built with -fPIC. The error you are getting

relocation R_X86_64_32S against `vtable for NcError' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

is associated with a C++ file (libnetcdf_c++).

Brad