[CIG-SHORT] pylith time stepping

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue May 12 06:45:56 PDT 2009

Chris-

As Charles noted, the time step for the Maxwell model is independent of
the deformation rate, so the adaptive time step is uniform. It does
depend on the Maxwell time. The time step for an elastic material is
infinite (actually 1.0e+30); any time step gives a numerically stable
solution. If you use an elastic material with adaptive time stepping,
the time step is 1.0e+30, so the number of time steps is being rounded
off to 0. The output manager currently uses the number of time steps as
a flag to decide whether it is writing "info" or "data". If the number
of time steps is 0, it thinks it is writing "info".

The adaptive time stepping correctly writes "data" files when using a
Maxwell model. See examples/3d/hex8/savageprescott.cfg.

Brad