[CIG-SHORT] Maxwell bulk rheology behavior in v1.3.1 versus v1.4.2

Ikuo Cho ikuo-chou at aist.go.jp
Thu Apr 1 02:14:47 PDT 2010

Dear Brad

> Because the Maxwell time in your problem is so short, the stresses relax
> very quickly. In using a time step of 1.0*year with v1.3.1 the stresses
> are relaxing artificially slowly because the time step is so large.

> instead of the elastic constants. The elastic solution at the first time
> step (-dt to 0) should match the solution for a purely elastic material.
> In v1.4.2 this is true, but in v1.3.1 it is not. This is subtle in most

Thank you for your comments. I ran PyLith1.3.1 with a short time step,
dt=0.028 year, which is the value requested by PyLith 1.4.2. All other
parameters are the same as those used in the previous calculation (I
used the cfg file and the spatial database attached to the previous
email I sent). The calculation results didn't show visible differences,
however (See the figure). The only exception is the elastic solution at t=0. The elastic
solution is influenced by some viscoelastic parameters when the time
step is set to 0.028 year.

Although I don't fully understand your comments for PyLith1.3.1, I will
concentrate myself to PyLith1.4.2 from now on because I want to apply
PyLith 1.4.2 or later to some problems of power-law fluids.

You said "v1.4.2 looks correct", but it looks incorrect for me. The
calculation results from v1.4.2 (Figures are attached to my previous
email) showed that stresses fell two orders of magnitude everywhere in
just one year. I gave viscosity coefficients ranging from 7.1*10**19 to
7.1*10**20 [Pa*s] (relaxation times from 100 to 1000 years) at the rear
part of the volume (y > 0), and so the stress relaxation seems too short .

Perhaps I mistook the use of some important parameters for PyLith1.4.2.
But it is also possible that some problem arises when PyLith1.4.2 reads
three-dimensional data using a spatial database. I want to solve this
problem anyway and will write another email soon for the illustration.

Ikuo