[CIG-SHORT] on the viscosity coefficient

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 14:54:38 PDT 2010

Ikuo Cho,

Thanks very much for your detailed explanation.  After going through your explanation, it appears that the difficulty arises through a difference in how we define the power-law exponent.  Using the following definitions:

A_ET = A_E * exp(-Q/(R*T))
sigma_d = sigma_1 - sigma_3

PyLith 1.4.2 defines the flow law as:

epsilondot_11 = A_ET * sigma_d^n

In the derivation of Yuta Abe, the flow law used is:

epsilondot_11 = A * S_1^n

The differences arise because in the case of PyLith, the flow law is a function of the differential stress, while in the case of the derivation of Yuta Abe, the flow law is a function of the maximum deviatoric stress (S_1).  The relationship between the two is:

S_1 = 2 * sigma_d/3

Combining the two equations for epsilondot_11, we get

A_ET = (2/3)^n * A,

which I believe is what was used by Yuta Abe.  Does this sound correct?

Thanks,
Charles

p.s.  The value of A_ET is what is used as input for PyLith 1.4.2 (and an upcoming version 1.4.3).  In the next major release of PyLith, a different set of parameters will be used to define power-law flow.

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon