[CIG-SHORT] on the viscosity coefficient

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 10:14:30 PST 2010

Dear Yuta Abe,

I will look at the code and the manual to see if there is a problem.  As I mentioned in a previous e-mail to cig-short, we are changing the input parameters for power-law materials, so 'eta' will no longer be a parameter in upcoming versions.  I will let you know what I find out about version 1.4.2, though.

I'm glad the final output matches the analytical solution.  Would it be possible for you to describe the problem?  It may be useful as an example problem or benchmark.

On 4/03/2010, at 9:07 PM, Yuta Abe wrote:

> Dear PyLith Developers:
>
>  I have a question about the viscosity_coefficient "eta", which is one of the physical properties that you get in the output "cel_info_fields" when you carry out analysis of a power-law viscoelastic material using PyLith 1.4.2.
>
>  I thought the values of "eta" could be calculated using the equations (5.74), (5.75) and (5.76) by substituting the power-law coefficient "At" and the power-law exponent n. I substituted "At"=1.99e-41 and n=3 into those equations, and obtained "eta"=1.77e+13 as a result. However, the value of "eta" in info.vtk file which was obtained as an automatic output of the PyLith program for the same values of "At"=1.99e-41 and n=3 was "eta"=1.77e+18, 100,000 times as large as the above value. By the way, the final output of the PyLith program coincided with the analytical solution.
>
> I would like to find out the origin of this difference, so please kindly tell me how the value of "eta" is calculated within the PyLith program.

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon