[CIG-SHORT] Installation of subversion pylith

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 11 09:18:35 PST 2010

Ikuo-

Your errors suggest an inconsistency between spatialdata and PyLith
related to the C++/Python interface. For compatibility of the C++/Python
code, if you build either PyLith or spatialdata from the repository (and
SWIG generates the interface b/t C++ and Python), then the other must
also be built from the repository. This means you need to build
spatialdata from the repository (and configure it with the --enable-swig
option like you did for PyLith). I apologize for not including this
information in the installation instructions.

Ikuo Cho wrote:
> Brad,
>
> I was able to install pylith repository version following your advise.
> Now I wonder if the parameters for pylith developing version changed extensively from those for the released version.
> Actually, I tried to run the examples in the directory pylith/examples/3d/hex8, but failed.
> The attached file "typescript" is an example of the messages output from
> pylith when I tried to run pylith by typing:
>
> pylith savageprescott.cfg.
>
> I wanted to make sure if these messages mean extensive changes in the
> parameters for pylith (and my instllation was succesful).
>
> Ikuo Cho
>
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 08:23:48 -0800
> Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:
>
>> Ikuo-
>>
>> If you build from the repository (applies to both spatialdata and
>> pylith), you need to configure with the --enable-swig flag. You will
>> also need to have a recent version of swig installed (I think 1.3.33 or
>> later, configure will check this). The source tarball contains the swig
>> generated files (*_wrap.cxx) , but the repository does not.
>>
>> Brad
>>

>> On 3/4/10 10:04 PM, Ikuo Cho wrote:
>>> Charles,

>>> You understand my question correctly. Thank you for your suggestion.

>>> I checked out the latest version of pylith and petsc from the subversion
>>> repository (March 4, 2010). I tried to install them, only to fail at a
>>> later stage:
>>> Making install in bc
>>> make[2]: Entering directory `/work6/cho/pylith.srccompiled/Shoyu.1.4.2.dev20100304/pylith/modulesrc/bc'
>>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `bc_wrap.cxx', needed by `bc_wrap.lo'.  Stop.
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/work6/cho/pylith.srccompiled/Shoyu.1.4.2.dev20100304/pylith/modulesrc/bc'
>>> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1