[CIG-SHORT] Any problem or bugs? (reading 3-D inhomogeneities using a spatialdb)

Ikuo Cho ikuo-chou at aist.go.jp
Thu Mar 25 23:59:25 PDT 2010

Dear PyLith developers

I calculated linear viscoelastic responses of a medium, under the
setting MaxwellIsotropic3D, while giving three-dimensional
inhomogeneities to its viscosities using the SimpleDB spatial database.
*info.vtk indicates that medium properties have been read correctly, but
the way stresses attenuate apparently doesn't reflect the given
inhomogeneities and absolute values of the viscosity coefficients. An
earlier version (PyLith 1.3.1) produced intuitively expected results,
but PyLith 1.4.2 gave counter intuitive outputs, no matter which one I
used--binary for XP, binary for Linux or the source code to be compiled
by the user (see attached figures).

You can validate what I am saying using the  setting files attached to
this email: Here is what I did.
1) Place four files (dislocation_3d_mat1.4.2.cfg,
dislocation_3d_mat1.4.2.cfg, 3d_mat1.3.1.spatialdb and
3d_mat1.4.2.spatialdb) in the exercise directory
pylith-1.4.2/examples/3d/hex8.

2) Execute PyLith1.4.2 by typing:
cd pylith-1.4.2/examples/3d/hex8
pylith dislocation_3d_mat1.4.2.cfg

3) Execute PyLith1.3.1 by typing:
mv pylithapp.cfg pylithapp.cfg.org
pylith dislocation_3d_mat1.3.1.cfg

The following is the only difference in "spatialdata" that describes material properties.
<   value-units =  kg/m^3  m/s  m/s Pa^s // units
---
>   value-units =  kg/m**3  m/s  m/s Pa*s // units

I have no idea what the problem is. Did I miss any important changes in
the way input should be given?
I'd be happy to receive any advise.

Ikuo Cho  ( ikuo-chou at aist.go.jp )
Geological Survey of Japan,
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
Tsukuba Central 7, Tsukuba 305-8567 Japan
Tel +81-29-861-3891, Fax +81-29-861-3682