[CIG-SHORT] 2 Questionsrefined meshing, heterogeneous material.

Niz niz.moussatat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 08:02:30 PST 2011

Hello Pylith people

I am struggling in a very simple 2D simulation SCEC-TPV11 simulation.
A 50m spacial resolution on fault meshing works fine, but when i try
to use a mesh with 25m resolution on fault, I don't get a proper
initiation as nodes outside the nucleation patch start to move (see
joined figure). Lowering up to 1e-5s time step didn't work, I also
increased the maximum iterations with still no success, I wish to know
if I am overlooking important parameters or should i continue to
increase the pre-conditioners till I get my result? I put the setup
files in
ftp://ftp-lgit.obs.ujf-grenoble.fr/pub/lgit/moussatn/

On another matter, I don't understand in the manual how the file
mat_prop.spatial.db can specify 2 different material properties for a
volume on one side of the fault. Do I need to introduce 3 bodies
instead, with 2 contact interface with cohesive cells? (one stick-slip
for the fault and one stick for the heterogeneity)

Moussatat Nziar
Laboratoire de Géophysique Interne et Tectonophysique (LGIT)
Adresse postale: BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Adresse géographique: Maison de Géosciences, 1381 rue de la piscine,
Domaine Universitaire, 38400 St Martin d'Hères

Tél Bureau: +33 (0)4 76 63 52 26
Mob:+33 (0)6 43 59 39 44
Tél Maison: +33 (0)4 80 38 45 93