[CIG-SHORT] 2 Questionsrefined meshing, heterogeneous

Surendra Nadh Somala surendra at caltech.edu
Wed Jan 26 12:18:09 PST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 8:02 AM, cig-short-request at geodynamics.org wrote:

> I am struggling in a very simple 2D simulation SCEC-TPV11 simulation.
> A 50m spacial resolution on fault meshing works fine, but when i try
> to use a mesh with 25m resolution on fault, I don't get a proper
> initiation as nodes outside the nucleation patch start to move (see
> joined figure). Lowering up to 1e-5s time step didn't work, I also
> increased the maximum iterations with still no success, I wish to know
> if I am overlooking important parameters or should i continue to
> increase the pre-conditioners till I get my result? I put the setup
> files in
> ftp://ftp-lgit.obs.ujf-grenoble.fr/pub/lgit/moussatn/

I ran your 25m resolution case using dt=0.001 and made a plot of slip
at 0.003 sec.  The plot looks exactly similar to your 50m resolution
curve (please see attached).  This is using all your values but
scecdynrup branch.  As Brad already mentioned, scecdynrup branch
doesn't allow for healing does not allow to open even thought fault
goes to tension.

--Surendra