[CIG-SHORT] Ask for the instruction on modelling the slip distribution

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Oct 21 09:13:36 PDT 2011

Yangmao,

If you are interested in seismic wave propagation and prescribed slip,
you may want to use Specfem3D (http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/software),
because you can use point sources or finite-fault ruptures with multiple
point sources and don't have to include the fault surface in your mesh.

For examples using PyLith, see Session IV of the 2011 Crustal
Deformation Modeling tutorial
(http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/community/workinggroups/short/workshops/cdm2011/agenda)
for information about generating meshes with topography. Heterogeneous
material properties can be specified using a spatial database with
points spanning a volume (use data-dim=3) or a custom spatial database
(see templates/spatialdb in the spatialdata source code for an example).

Regards,
Brad Aagaard