[CIG-SHORT] dynamic rupture on realistic mesh

Hongfeng Yang hyang at whoi.edu
Fri Apr 6 14:50:10 PDT 2012

I am running dynamic rupture scenarios on a realistic geometry mesh.
Pylith reads in the initial stress on the fault fine--I can see the
nucleation zone as I assigned. But in the output, slip on fault is 0,
indicating the rupture failed to initiate.

I have tried the same parameters on planar faults, one single fault
plane and kinked fault with multiple planes. In all planar fault cases,
rupture initiates and propagates.

So it seems to relate to the mesh. Anyone has successful experience of
running dynamic ruptures using pylith on realistic geometry fault models?

Thanks,

Hongfeng

--
Postdoctoral Investigator