[CIG-SHORT] Kinematic faults vs dynamic faults and fault opening

Matthew Knepley knepley at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 23 11:46:35 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:34 PM, bhhager <bhhager at mit.edu> wrote:

> Brad-
>
> I am confused by your description.  I think that dike intrusion should
> result when the magma pressure is large relative to the background
> (compressive) stress, thereby forcing the dike to open by exerting a large
> compressive normal traction on the medium bounding the dike.  (Imagine a
> flat jack wedging the medium apart.)
>
> In other words, crack opening is aided by high fluid pressures (that is,
> highly-compressive) that push the fault open.  (Ahead of the fault, the
> medium might go into tension, but that's another story.)
>
> Following this "logic,"  I don't see why putting the compressive tractions
> on a fault that are needed to push the adjacent planes apart should be
> inconsistent with the frictional sliding case requiring either compressive
> or zero normal tractions.

It is due to the formulation+solver. Brad can correct me if my explanation
is deficient. The formulation has friction in compression
and nothing intension. Your dike example would have some viscous BC in
tension. This formulation is a variational inequality, but
no one in tectonics solves it this way, including us, because it is hard
(we hope to change this eventually since people in contact
mechanics like Dan Negrut at Madison solve 100M unknown VIs now). What the
solver currently does is us just the fault itself to
get an approximation of the slip, and then feeds this to the complete
problem, and iterates to self-consistency using Newton. If the
approximation from looking at just the fault is bad, as it is in the case
of tension or through-going faults, this does not work well at all.

    Matt

experiments lead.
-- Norbert Wiener