[CIG-SHORT] Frictional behavior and imposed episodic slip on a fault

Niz niz.moussatat at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 03:45:33 PDT 2012

a turn around would be using 2 parallel faults, but slightly non aligned,
                                          ###-------------------Fault 2
---------------------------
---------- Fault1 --------------------------###
were ### are blocked nodes.
Developpers know better, but I think you must have a blocked part at the
end of the fault. And for the singularity, i think one could test 2 faults
with more space, [example: 1 km when finite elements are at 100m], and see
how this soft behaves as you take them close. It might work with a single
node,
I saw slip jumps being done with Pylith, although not on the same time
scale as yours.
glhf

Regards

2012/8/23 Romain Jolivet <rjolivet at caltech.edu>

> Hello Pylith users and developers,
>
> Is there a zero slip condition at the tip of a fault (FaultCohesiveKin
> object) and if yes, is there a way to remove this constraint?
>
> I explain my problem a little bit more. Here is a little drawing:
>
> #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

> |                                                                 Medium 1

> |                Fault 1
> Fault 2                                       |
>
> #--------------------------------#----------------------------------------------------------------#
> |         imposed slip
>  FaultCohesiveDyn                          |
> | (1 earthquake/100 yrs)

> |                                                                  Medium
> 2                                                |

> #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
>
> I would like to impose slip, episodically, on fault 1 and observe the
> behavior of fault 2, that has a frictional rheology. I apply dirichlet
> boundary conditions on the edges of medium 1 (towards the left) and medium
> 2 (towards the right), so that frictional creep occurs along Fault 2
> between slip episodes.
>
> The problem right now is that the element at the junction between the two
> faults (the one that belongs to fault 2) does not slip. Consequently, creep
> does not propagate correctly in fault 2 after each event. Then there is a
> huge stress accumulation at the junction between the two faults (the
> problem might diverge at some point). One solution would be to have one
> fault (FaultCohesiveDyn) and to impose slip on part of its elements. Is it
> possible to impose episodes of slip on elements of a FaultCohesiveDyn
> object?
>
> I would like to know if this is possible to do with the latest PyLith
> version, if I need to implement my own fault module (Would it be
> easy/complicated/hard/a nightmare/impossible?) or if I should change the
> design of my problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Romain
>
> Romain Jolivet
> Postdoctoral Scholar
> Geological and Planetary Sciences
> California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
> rjolivet at caltech.edu
> +1 (626) 560 6356

MOUSSATAT Nizar - PhD Student
ISTerre - Maison des Geosiences - Equipe risques
Bureau 1121 (1er étage)
Université de Grenoble, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
E-mail: nizar.moussatat at obs.ujf-grenoble.fr
Tel Bureau: +33 (0)4 76 63 51 81
Mobile       +33 (0) 6 43 59 39 44
Home        +33 (0) 4 80 38 45 93