[CIG-SHORT] problem with rate-and-state friction model

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Jul 9 22:36:51 PDT 2012

Lucas,

Sorry the delay. I am out of the office. If you are still stuck on this
issue, please supply a small example (something that runs in a few
seconds) that displays this behavior. You may want to try starting from
the bar_shearwave rate-state friction example in
examples/bar_shearwave/quad4.

You may also want to examine the SCEC dynamic rupture benchmarks that
use rate-state friction (TPV1XX). Eric Dunham set those up with a
different nucleation technique. Rate and state friction behaves quite
different from slip-weakening due to the direct effect associated with
coefficient 'a'.