[CIG-SHORT] RuntimeError: Invalid fault mesh: Too many vertices of an element on the fault

Hongfeng Yang hyang at whoi.edu
Sun Jul 29 18:03:49 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I am running dynamic rupture simulations on a fault mesh with realistic
geometry. The simulation was done on a mesh with certain discretization
size (say d1). However, when I decreased the discretization size of the
mesh (say d2), PyLith stopped after reading the mesh due to an error,
Invalid fault mesh: Too many vertices of an element on the fault

I check the mesh quality with grid size of d2 and find there are a lot
of poor quality elements. But I do not understand how there could be too
many vertices of one element on the fault surface? What does this error
message mean, and what is causing the problem?

Thanks,

Hongfeng

--
Postdoc Investigator